Well, it may not be the long awaited reunion of the original 6-man line up of Fishbone, but it’s the first time in years that people have seen Christopher Dowd on stage along with Angelo Moore, Norwood Fisher and Walter Kibby. I am talking about a new Pepsi commercial that is airing now, highlighting the brand new logo (which I don’t like, looks like a smirk, or The Partridge Family partridge) for the soft drink company, which you can see above. While the Fishbone footage in the commercial is extremely brief, you can see photos of the shoot over at Fishbone Live. I myself have been a Fishbone fan for 24 years but never saw them live other than on video and television. Yes, that is a crime in itself, but if the original line-up ever reunites, I will have to find a way to go. Fish, Kendall, please phone home.
The folks at Daptone Records are hard at work in 2009, this time with a brand new subsidiary label called Ever-Soul. The new Ever-Soul release will be a 45 by Eddie & Ernie called “Bullets Don’t Have Eyes”, and it can be pre-ordered right now in two different ways.
You can order version #1 which features a picture sleeve (shown above) with the B-side, “In These Very Tender Moments”. Or you can order version #2 that doesn’t come with a picture sleeve, but it features a completely different B-side, “You Make My Life A Sunny Day”. Version #2 will be exclusively available from Daptone until supplies run out, then you have to pay up the ass for it. Buy now, buy in triplicate. MP3 excerpts of each song can be found through the links above.
Eddie & Ernie were a soul duo from the Phoenix, Arizona area in the late 1960′s who were able to tour with some of the best, and while they only received regional success, those who heard them could never forget them. Now Ever-Soul will show why this music is everlasting.
If you are a completist, then you’ll want to pick up the first Ever-Soul 45 by Hank “Soul Man” Mullen called “He Upset Your Dreams” b/w “Listen”, which you can find more about here.
Out of Calgary is DJ Pump, who is part of The Eh! Team DJ’s collective, and he’s created a really cool mix called Sevonte Swang. He says that it’s “some of my personal favorite tracks from the early 80′s club/dance era”. Here’s the track listing:
1) Cameron – Funkdown
2) Kool Kyle – Getting Over
3) Brothers Johnson – You Make Me Wanna Wiggle
4) Empress – Give In To Love
5) Brenda Taylor – You Can’t Have Your Cake And Eat It Too
6) Take 3 – Tonite’s The Night
7) Graingers – Shine Your Light
8 ) Firefly – Love is Gonna Be On Your Side (Dub)
9) The Fantastic Aleems – Get Down Friday Night
10) Young & Company – Is It Good To You
11) Rah Band – Messages From The Stars
12) Legacy – Word up
13) Status IV – You Ain’t Really Down
14) Jerry Carr – This Must Be Heaven
15) Khemistry – I Can’t Win For Losing
16) Junie – Jarr the Ground
17) Candela – Love You Madly
18) Amra – Special Kind Of Love
19) Jerry Knight – Overnight Sensation
20) Xavier – Love Is On The One
21) Starshine – All I Need Is You
22) Feel – I’d Like To
23) Armenta – I Wanna Be With You
24) Wizard – It’s On
25) Roundtree – Hit On You
26) Simon & McQueen – Let’s Get Into It
27) Carl Smith – Come Back Lover
28) Enchantment – Here’s Your Chance To Dance
29) L7 – Mr. Boogie Pop
30) Woods Empire – Come On Give Me Love
31) Bliss – Groovin
32) Alphonse Mouzon – Our Love Is Hot
33) Debbie Trusty – Searchin For Some Lovin
34) Freeez – Southern Freeez
You can download this mix in full by clicking here.